Having constant jaw pain can make life miserable, especially when it affects your ability to eat, sleep, yawn, and smile. Jaw pain is often associated with a joint disorder known as TMJ or TMD. People with TMJ experience painful symptoms that can make even the simplest jaw movements agonizing.
Our team at Family Dental in Amherst, New Hampshire can help alleviate your jaw pain so you can enjoy your life again. Dr. Kenneth Edwards can identify the cause of your discomfort and customize a treatment plan that best benefits your individual needs and lifestyle.
What Is TMJ/TMD?
Connecting the jawbone to the skull, the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) functions much like a door hinge, allowing you to open and close your mouth. TMJ disorders, also called TMD, are painful conditions that affect the TMJ and surrounding muscles.
Several factors can cause a TMJ disorder:
- Jaw injury
- Teeth grinding (bruxism) and clenching
- Teeth or jaw misalignment
- Connective tissue disorders
- Bone erosion
TMD can cause jaw pain and add stress to the joints that control your mouth’s movement. This can cause several areas of your jaw, face, and neck ache, and the pressure on the joints can even cause jaw degeneration. Common signs of TMD include:
- Jaw pain or tenderness
- Stiff or sore face and muscles
- Pain or tenderness in or around the TMJ
- Difficulty chewing or pain while chewing
- Ear pain and popping in the ears
- Lockjaw or joint stiffness
- Clicking and/or popping in the jaw
TMJ disorders can take a toll on your oral health and wellbeing, but thankfully these symptoms can be reduced with the help of our Family Dental team. These disorders are often temporary and can be easily managed with conservative, nonsurgical treatment.
Gentle TMJ Treatment in Amherst, NH
Dr. Kenneth Edwards is the Amherst family dentist who can help relieve your jaw pain and restore function to your TMJ. Depending on your specific case, Dr. Edwards may recommend various treatment options, including:
- Anti-inflammatory medication to reduce irritation
- Heat and ice therapy to reduce pain and swelling
- Mouthguard to realign your bite and prevent grinding and clenching
- Relaxation techniques to relieve pressure from your jaw joints
Get TMJ Relief Today at Family Dental
If you suffer from TMJ pain or other related symptoms, don’t hesitate to call our Amherst dental office for help. Our Family Dental team provides compassionate and gentle care to all patients, including those who suffer from jaw pain and discomfort.
Call us today at (603) 673-0782 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Edwards.