Gums Itching? Causes and Treatments for This Strange Sensation
Have you ever suffered from itchy gums? It might sound unusual, but gums actually can itch. Is it a benign—but potentially annoying—problem? Or could it be a sign that something serious is going on in your mouth?
Of course, if you ever have questions or concerns about your oral health, you should seek family dental care from an Amherst dentist such as Dr. Kenneth Edwards. In the meantime, let’s take a look at itchy gums and find out what this can mean.
Reasons Your Gums Might Feel Itchy
Itchy gums can occur for a number of reasons, including an allergic reaction or a sign that bacteria has built up between your teeth and gums. Itching could also indicate a more serious concern, such as the presence of gum disease.
Other Symptoms that Often Accompany Itchy Gums
Because there can be so many reasons for itchy gums, your dentist will likely be interested in additional symptoms you might be experiencing, such as the following:
- If the itching is also impacting the roof of your mouth, this could indicate some kind of allergic reaction.
- Itching that is accompanied by pain and swelling could mean a tooth has been injured or is abscessed.
- Itching along with red and inflamed gums could mean the presence of gum disease, especially if the gums are bleeding.
- Girls in puberty and women in menopause might also experience itch gums as a result of hormonal fluctuations. This can also impact women who are pregnant.
- A dry mouth from certain medications or dehydration can also cause itchy gums.
Treating Itchy Gums
In most cases, itchy gums are easy to treat, and often practicing good oral hygiene will prevent the itching from recurring.
Other suggestions include rinsing with salt water, using an antibacterial mouthwash, taking an over-the-counter antihistamine for itching caused by allergies. For itchy gums that persist, a call to your dentist to rule out any serious problems is always a good idea.
For family dental care in Amherst, including itchy gums, call Dr. Kenneth Edwards today!